To make good career decisions, you will need to start by knowing what you want. Discover your VIPS (Values, Occupational Interests, Personality Style and Skills) and have a better understanding of your strengths and your inclinations. It is equally important to know what the world needs so that you can find fulfilment in contributing to society and growing both professionally and personally for the long-term.
Values are the qualities that give you a sense of purpose and keep your career satisfaction going.
- What motivates you and why?
- What qualities are most important to you?
- What kind of lifestyle are you seeking?
Occupational Interests are work activities that you are passionate about. By knowing where your interests lie in, this will help you choose a career that gives you greater job satisfaction and long-term success.
- What past experiences have you found fulfilling?
- What type of activities do you enjoy doing?
- What are you most passionate about?
Personality Style refers to the way you think, feel and behave. This influences how you interact with others, process information and make decisions.
- Do you like to work in a team or alone?
- Are you more comfortable with a fixed or flexible work schedule?
- How do you like to communicate – writing or verbally?
Skills are your unique abilities, strengths and talents. These may include technical skills that are specific to your field of studies or transferrable skills such as interpersonal and communication skills. Identify the skills you have gained through your studies, group work, professional experiences and even co-curricular activities (CCAs).
- What are you good at?
- What have you received praise or recognition for in the past?
- What skills are sought after in the fields of work you are interested in?
KNOW WHAT THE WORLD NEEDS
Look beyond traditional roles in your field of study and keep yourself updated with the evolving economy to identify emerging in-demand roles and what the world needs.
Explore the job market. Research on market trends and industry outlook as well as the challenges in the industries that you are interested in. Speak to industry professionals and alumni in these industries. Find out what led them to their career choices, challenges faced and how they grew in their careers to gain insights on these possible career options and how you can contribute and make your mark professionally.
- What job roles would you consider purposeful and meaningful to yourself and to the world?
- How can you stay relevant in a Volatile, Uncertain, Complex and Ambiguous (VUCA) world of work?
HOW DO YOU START
Make a list of the potential industries and job roles that you are interested in. Do not be afraid to include organisations and industries that you have never considered before. Be curious and keep an open mind to discover the full range of career opportunities available through job shadowing, internships and career events. Speak with our Career Consultants to gain deeper insights into different industries. Join NTU ConnectingMinds and be mentored by a community of alumni mentors.
Stay flexible and adaptable to the challenges and opportunities you will encounter in your job search and career journey. Keep up-to-date with emerging trends so that you will remain relevant in the job market. Enjoy the experience and stay positive!