The rapid pace of urbanisation and digitalisation across Asia ensures that engineers will remain in high demand, both in Singapore and across the region.
Engineering services are a key driver of Singapore’s economic growth, and engineering graduates can look forward to establishing a successful and rewarding career in the country, contributing to the nation’s continued success.
Opportunities are rife in Singapore, spanning from infrastructure and transportation projects, manufacturing, to precision engineering. The local sector is expected to experience exciting growth in areas such as project development and financing, project management, technical engineering, and digital technologies.
As technology continues to drive transformation across industries and facets of human life, engineers will increasingly be seen as integral to innovation and will lead the creation of new urban and industrial solutions. As companies across the globe join the Industry 4.0 revolution, engineers in the industry will benefit from keeping up with the latest trends such as advanced manufacturing, Internet of Things (IoT), robotics, artificial intelligence, and data-driven solutions.
CAREER PROSPECTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
Engineers are trained to think systematically and are good problem solvers. With this skill set, engineering graduates can choose from many exciting career routes ranging from developing specialist engineering skills in niche areas to progressing to project management and business leadership roles.
The increased adoption of technology by companies has led to a surge in demand for engineers in all industries, including banks and consulting and technology firms.
Graduates who are inclined towards research and development will find a trove of opportunities in diverse pathways, from being a research engineer in a manufacturing facility to exploring deep technology.
Non-engineering graduates can also find careers in engineering-related companies in areas such as project financing, project development, and in operational functions such as procurement, planning, sales, and business development.
For individuals with an entrepreneurial spirit, Singapore offers robust support and resources to bring promising ideas and solutions to the market.
- Degree in engineering
- Accreditation as a Chartered Engineer is required for certain senior roles
- Additional skills and certifications are required for specific industries. Examples include Lean Six Sigma, Project Management Professional (PMP), Agile/Scrum; programming languages such as Python, Java and C++; and data analytics tools such as Tableau and Robotic Process Automation (RPA)
- Knowledge in CAD software such as Solidworks, AutoCAD
- Analytical, logical, and mathematical or technical skills
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Able to read and interpret engineering drawings
WHAT RECRUITERS LOOK FOR
- Drive and open-mindedness, with an interest in learning new technologies
- Creativity and innovation skills are especially important for research roles
- Teamwork, leadership, and communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and multifaceted environment